Tuesday, July 11, 2006

HummingBirds

Hummingbirds are the newest members of the animal kingdom to be totally spoiled around the house.

Metro, Molly, the Chickens - even the Kois in the small pond by the front deck - are all rotten.

Sunrise is my most favorite time of the day. My routine during the week is to rise as the alarm sounds at 5:45. And with it so ingrained into me (and Metro), it is almost impossible to for me to sleep in on the weekends. So with it still dark outside, I open the front door and let Metro go outside. Business taken care of, the task of coffee is addressed – “extra chewy please”!!!

Back outside the first rays of dawn cause the gray to turn a rosy pink. The first of the thumb sized birds arrive at the feeder. I freeze to make her less nervous as she goes about gathering the 4:1 sugar water mix. Slowly, I make my way to the Adirondack chair in the middle of the deck. Soon the air is full of little buzzing emerald green blurs.

Five, then ten, then fifteen are zipping back and forth and around the house. The red maple over the Koi pond serves as landing pad between drinks. With only four artificial red flowers available to draw the nectar, turf wars begins. Dogfights over the pressure treated yellow pine ensue. Swoops and dives, darts and jives! Midair pirouettes and do-si-dos. The dance of the hummingbirds continues into the heat of the morning. The syrupy solution is soon drained. Too many hummers? Too few feeders!


Solution: More Feeders! So Monday, I make a run to the KRFS to get two more stations! Eight more red plastic flowers with mesh yellow centers are hung around the deck.

Wait a minute, is this the solution? Or, is it the beginning of the snow ball rolling down the mountain?




No comments: