Monday, June 12, 2006

Fire Ants, Ducklings and Yorkshire Terriers

When Metro was about 7 months old, spring time had arrived at the farm. The cycle of life was turning rapidly, especially down at the pond.

Spring evenings are filled with the “Brrrrrrrummpht” of Bull Frogs and the "Chrrrrrrippp" of Tree Frogs. The fry of Catfish and Brim darted on the banks of the clear water. The “tamed” Mallard ducks are “frolicking” right there in front of God and everyone!

Shortly thereafter, I find a nest with 4 large eggs on the high banks of the pond. Mama Duck is standing guard and is very wary of my movements. I let her be. But I keep a close eye on her and her nest, for I know the fate that awaits the little oval spheres.

A couple of weeks pass. Metro and I make it a daily routine to walk to the pond to check on the nest. Metro continues this practice even to this day, some 6 years later. He walks/runs the 120 yards down to the pond area to take care of his afternoon “poopie run”.

On a Saturday morning, I have binoculars in hand so I can observe the nest from a safe distance. No mama duck is to be seen!!! So I come around from the peninsula to the high bank with Metro right behind me.

Not only is mama duck AWOL, but the eggs are hatching. Sadly two of the eggs are covered with hundreds of fire ants. There is no hope for the little ducklings. The cycle of life has taken a heartbreaking twist. There is just barely a crack in the shell of the other two. These can be saved!!! I pick up the two intact eggs, blow away the fire ants and carry them back to the house. All the time Metro is jumping at my heels, “Whatca got Daddy? Whatca gonna do with ‘em?”
I place the eggs on the warm grass outside the pump house, occasionally picking them up and placing them to ear. Tap, tap, tip, tap… Then slowly, one of the ducklings breaks through. It’s just a tiny hole at first, then a complete crack to circumnavigate the shell. Movement is observed. The little fellow is taking his first breaths. One kick from his tiny legs and the bottom of the shell is free. A wiggle and a jiggle later, head and the rest of the wet body is unbound from the tan protective covering that held it just seconds ago. Minutes later, Brother (or Sister – still not sure which was who later on) followed suit.

Metro is there, being held at a safe distance. Metro has an idea, “They can use my Pet Taxi, I don’t need it anymore! Not since you and Mommy lets me sleep with y’all!”

So it is. The Twins take up residency in the Pet Taxi with a newspaper patio in the utility room next to the freezer. Warm air from the condenser bathes the black and golden balls of feathers. All is great. Food and water is applied with Metro doing his part of making sure the duckling are watched over. Double and then triple in size, the duckies are allowed to walk with Metro in the yard. They follow Metro as he makes his rounds from tree to bush. I was fully expecting the waddling shadows to hike their webbed feet mimicking Metro’s actions.

Time comes when young ducks must strike out on their own... Okay, they outgrew the Pet Taxi. Like the Piped Piper of dogs and ducks, I led the funny looking Trio to the water edge. One by one I place the ducks into the pond. No sooner has Duck Number Two splashes into the water has Duck Number One made it back to shore. Repeat, repeat, repeat... They follow Metro around on the banks as usual while he is taking a bathroom break as I scratch my head. The game of Follow the Leader is resumed. A light bulb goes off. I pick up Metro and place him in the pond. His harness and leash are attached as a precaution. He has never been swimming in the pond!!!

Lo and Behold!!! The ducks follow Metro into the water. As Metro swims (and yes he can swim) to shore; the Twins follow him out of the water. Metro in, Ducks follow… And this time the duck get the hang of it. They swim out a few feet and I retrieve Metro like a cast net and place him on the bank. He shakes from nose to tail and then from tail to nose.
The ducks became permanent residents of the pond that day. We continued to feed them the Starter Feed we bought for them on their birthday until the bag was emptied. The Circle of Life made a complete turn.

No comments: