Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanks again, Dad!!

I just finished an evening of firearm cleaning...

2 pistols

3 rifles

2 shotguns.

Included in these, was my Dad's Mossberg 20 gauge that was bought for him in 1957, shortly after I arrived in this world.

He gave it to me Christmas of 2005. Dad passed away January 23. 2006.

Dad called me just before Mom passed away, October 20, 2005. He asked me for my SS# and he didn't really give me a reason why he need it. But I knew it was for a good reason. Shortly thereafter he broke his right wrist.

I plan to do some shooting with my son-in-law over the Thanksgiving weekend - therefore the marathon cleaning session. I took the butt-plate off of the stock just to be sure everything was clean. As I removed the butt-plate, I noticed something in the wood.

I put on my reading glasses - two sets of 9 digit numbers.

One is my Social Security number. A quick check of my Dad's DD-214 (I put a copy in the back of Funeral Flag case), confirmed the other set of numbers was my Dad's Social. In the grain of this 50+ year old wood is preserved our Social Security numbers, engraved most likely with his Case XX pocket knife. This, for sure, would been one of the last time he "wrote".

Thanks again, Dad!!

No comments: