Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The "First" Day of Spring

The calendar has caught up with the season, at least in south Georgia. Watching the early morning news on CNN this AM, the weather guy, Bob Van Dillen was telling of the freezing temperatures and snow still falling in the north lands. (Pop-ups galore if you click the links to CNN).

I got a wonderful reminder that spring is in "full bloom" around here. NOT a flowering tree, which there are plenty... This one was heard. NOPE, not a chorus of peppers being all froggy in the swamp spring head. Those little fellows have been busy "Chrrrrrrippp-ing" for a couple of weeks already. This sound came from the most vocal of all night time birds.

As I walked in the pre-dawn darkness to the truck this morning, I stopped still in my tracks. The repeating of his night song was echoing in the crisp air.




Whip - poor - will, whip - poor- will, whip - poor - will...
lather - rinse - repeat...


I remember the pre-air conditioned summers of my youth, with my head practically laying on the sill the screened window. Hoping to catch a fleeing breeze on my face, as I sweated myself to sleep. And the voice of Poor Will, resounding in the hardwoods.


Whip - poor - will, whip - poor- will, whip - poor - will...


Whippoorwills are an elusive bird. Only once have I seen the muddy feathers of Mr. Will. On the dirt road leading away from the house - the reflective orange of the eye, give away his location before I could even begin to make out the outline against the red clay. And flight was taken before a good look was obtained.

So here is Spring. I placed my backpack in the truck, cupped my ears and squatted down to listen...



Image of a "poised" Whippoorwill by Mike Danzenbaker