Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Shoe Leather

I was ready for a great meal of baked pork chops and fresh veggies. I could smell the hint of onion and garlic as I entered the house yesterday evening. I was going to make a light BBQ sauce to accent them.

We removed the aluminum foil package from the oven and carefully allowed the steam to escape. Something wasn't right. You expect a small amount of juices to extract when you cook a piece of meat. But the four hunks of pork were swimming in water. They were 7/8ths covered in hot liquid. And they smelt bad. Not the kind of bad smell as in spoilage because they were mishandled. It was the stink from meat of a animal that was slaughtered way pass his prime.

We cut into one of the chops with a steak knife. Rather, we attempted to cut into it with a steak knife. Until last night, I had never tried to dissect a hockey puck!

Perhaps the squash and new red 'taters were all we really needed for dinner.