Thursday, July 26, 2007

D'oh


I have never watched an episode of The Simpsons.

I’ll give you a moment to recover…








But I have been exposed to Simpson-ocity over the years. How could one totally avoid it? I do know that Bart is main character in the show and he hasn’t aged a day since the debut in 1989. Physically or Mentally!!!

The Simpson Movie premieres tomorrow and Matt Groening, the creator of the ‘cartoon’ was interviewed on NPR this morning. While the story might intrigue the loyal Simpson fan to rush to theater tomorrow night to spend 8 bucks and 88 minutes – the plot summary by Steve Inskeep give a good reason not.


It's entirely within normal Simpsons behavior that Homer, the family patriarch, pollutes the local lake with pig manure, causes an environmental catastrophe, and finds a lynch mob at his door. And somewhere in the absurdity is a long-running commentary on American family life.



Whose family are we talking about? Not mine, I hope! Normal Simpson behavior? Springfield is definitely not on my list of must visit cities!


*image: I think that must be Homer saying, "D'oh"