Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Jury Duty


I was called for Jury Duty. Actually, I got a letter in the mail about 3 weeks ago. The last time I got one of these, I was called the evening before I was to report. The civil case was settled out of court.

Not this time...The Clerk of Courts goes to church with us, and he told me that the cases in consideration during this term were criminal.

Number 14

That was my juror number, so I was sure to be in the pool for the first trial. With over 80 fellow citizens in the court room about half were polled by the lawyers. In the voir dire process of the first trial (Murder and Robbery), I was deferred. I know that the District Attorney gave me a check mark for selection (I saw him make the mark), so the Defense Attorney must have had objection of my regard for his client.

But it ain't over. I must call the clerk's office tomorrow afternoon for another trial and possible selection on Thursday morning.

I heard on the news that I am in good company.

MIAMI (AP) - Janet Reno, the country's former chief prosecutor, was called to a far humbler position Monday: She reported for jury duty.

Reno, also a former Miami-Dade state attorney, was among a pool of jurors on a robbery and aggravated battery case.

"I did it because I think it is important that everyone responds," Reno told The Associated Press.

The former U.S. attorney general survived the initial round of questioning: No, she's never been arrested. Yes, she knows many police officers and prosecutors.

Defense attorney Rod Vereen said Reno would certainly be a fair and impartial juror, but doubted if his client would want her on the case.

"She hired the prosecutor," Vereen told The Miami Herald.