Monday, February 19, 2007

63 Years and 1 Day

Sometime last week, the bulb in Mama's security light went out!!! So, I called the Little Ocmulgee E.M.C. to have it replaced.

"How is the account listed?"

I gave her Mama's name.

"Is there another name?"

I gave her Daddy's name.

"I don't see that one either. What's the phone number?"

I gave her Mama's phone number.

"Would it be listed as W. F."

I replied, "Yes, that was her late-husband's initials."

"Oh, is he deceased?"

"Yes, ma'am... Several years ago."

"She needs to come in and apply for service in her name. And she will be eligible for his Capital Credits. It will probably nice little amount."

So after lunch, we drove downtown to the office. Out of curiosity, I asked when the orginial membership was started.

Tammy replied, "February 18, 1944." I think my jaw nearly hit the counter top!!!

Sarah was a negative six months old. I would imagine that the only use for electricity back then was for lighting the night. Cooking was still done on a wood stove, heat came from the fireplace that is now covered over and hot water was a pot on the stove. I wonder how long afterwards Daddy got them a radio...



Later, we drove around the country-side - taking a bunch of photos and listening to Mama tell of the days of covered wagons and cotton fields. Mama's enjoy her President's Day ride... but not nearly as much as we enjoyed listening to her!!!