Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ultrasound Evidence

My uncle Ronnie was a Teacher, Principal and even School Superintendent. Because he dealt with students and their parents, he would said, “I don’t have a heart, I’ve got a thumping gizzard, instead.” Well, that was until the doctor told him he had a heart attack several years ago. “I finally have proof that I have a heart after all. And there was no denying the hospital bill, either!!!”

As Robin moved the magic wand – smearing the yuckiest goop known to Mankind across my left side – she said, “There’s your Aorta, all four chambers and the colors show the blood flow through the chambers.”

The doctor came into the darkened room and stared at the screen.

“You have had uncontrolled hypertension for a few years now. And just like a weightlifter, the increased exercise has caused the heart muscle to grow.”


With nothing to with which to compare, this is now my baseline. Increased wall thickens – what should have been 12 to 14 mm was 16 to 18 mm.

Having a big heart is good, when it is caring for others.

Having a big heart from unknown and unmanaged high blood pressure, isn’t good at all.