Thursday, February 22, 2007

Air Bags and Guardian Angels

I have known Brian’s family for nearly 15 years now, meeting Brian when he was 10 or 11 years old. I worked with his step-dad when with Savannah Luggage. His mom is the special lady at Tumi, especially on Friday mornings – and for salary associates, every other Friday.

Brian is an officer for the Helena Police force. Several weeks ago he was working a license check road block near the old fair grounds. He was having a rough time with the car in front of me and with a one sided grin; he looked back toward my truck and saw who was next in line. I returned my wallet to my back pocket. I reached instead for a form of identification he would know just as well. My badge with the security disk for entry into “free trade zone” warehouse hangs on a retractable key reel. As I approach, I flash my photo i.d. with the word “TUMI” on the side.


“Hey, Mr. Bob. How ya doing?”

We talk for the short time until there is a car approaching from behind me.

“If you need anything, give me a call. You still have my cell phone number, don’t ya?”

I still do.

Monday afternoon, a man thought it would be a good day to run a red light and then elude the police trying to stop him. Others from the Sherriff’s department and the two towns that make up our community joined in the chase. Highway 319/441 South was the road where Brian and a Deputy were traveling when they got the call of the fugitive location. Brian did a quick turnaround and was heading back to town. Ed, was in the black and orange Sherriff’s car behind Brian and decided to make his reversal on Temperance Road. The area around the south part of Telfair County was many little rises and valleys as the terrain slopes down to the Ocmulgee River. Temperance Road happens to be just over the top of one of those little hills. Brian says he remembers seeing 80 m.p,h. on his speedometer and he was still accelerating. The force of the impact is so great, the doors on the passenger side of Ed’s car are forced open as the entire seat is ejected and lands some 40 yards down the road.

Ed was taken to Macon, while Brian remained in Taylor-Telfair Hospital.

His mom and sister are standing in his hospital room as I enter Tuesday evening.

“He is down in Radiology. They just left a few minutes ago.” Kathy and Mindy looked like they both needed sleep.

I am shown photos of the remnants of two police cruisers. Under normal circumstances, I would have believed no would could survive such an accident. But they did.

Thank God for Airbags and Guardian Angels.

After a MRI Tuesday night, Brian was transferred to Middle Georgia Medical Center yesterday afternoon. I anxiously await news from Kathy this morning.