Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the 13th

Actual email from my boss:




Bob, I heard from Alex last night that they’re having difficulty doing the reversal test, on the medium and large sizes - - he claims it’s difficult to get the umbrella to reverse because of the double canopy construction. Would you pls have someone video you doing several cycles of the reversal test, to show him how you do it? Send to me first so I can review before sending it overseas.


So I get an umbrella from stock with Ashley running the video camera. And POW! I destroy the first one. I dig in the box of rejects from last year. POW! Two up and two down. OK, let's try another one. Great, I'm pitching a NO HITTER!

The last umbrella is taken from my retains. FINALLY, a good take!

I get back to my desk, review the 15 second mpeg and it dawns on me. It is Friday the 13th!!!

I have never been into the rituals of luck:


  • crossing out a black cat that happens in my path only causes fingerprints on the windshield
  • not walking under a ladder is a safety issue
  • finger crossing is for forming the letter R in sign language
  • four leaf clovers - they're just rare, unless you live near a nuclear plant - then you may have 5 or 6 or 27 leaves
  • pennies heads down or heads up are going in my pocket - that's 1/100 of a buck
  • horseshoes are for horses, not over doors

There is no such thing a karma or luck for the christian. Rather, we receive blessings. And more than we deserve.






Why the voice of Buck Owens stuck in my head? Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression Excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me