Sunday, April 15, 2007

Rain and Wind

Last night the weather got rough again in southern Georgia.

As we head for bed last night, the thunder had just started rolling. I let Metro outside to take care of business one more time. The rain was just beginning, the deck was sprinkled with drops.

Our last rain of any significance was 31 days ago. We have been in a no burn Red Flag warning for most of March and all of April. The Georgia Weather website has reported Slight Drought Conditions:

Most of Georgia is now experiencing mild drought conditions. The state has been teetering between abnormally dry and mild drought since spring 2006. An abnormally dry winter has led to very dry soils, record to near-record low stream flows, low reservoir and farm pond levels and dropping groundwater levels across most of Georgia.

Stream flows statewide are abnormally low for late March, too. The U.S. Geological Survey reports record low daily flows on the Flint River near Griffin, Alcovy above Covington and Middle Oconee near Athens.

Most rivers and streams north and west of a line from Brunswick to Dublin to Lincolnton are at or below the 10th percentile for the date. At the 10th percentile, we expect more water in the streams nine out of 10 years.

Most major lakes in the state are near the desired level for late March. West Point, Walter F. George, Clarks Hill, Allatoona and Carters are all at or slightly above the guidance level for late March. Lanier, Hartwell and Seminole are running 0.5 to 1.66 feet low for late March.

Farm ponds across much of the state are low.

The state had less than desirable groundwater recharge this winter. Groundwater levels are dropping statewide




We finally got rain last night, nearly two inches overnight. And we got some wind…

Just to our north, folks in Eastman and Dublin got more than just wind and rain! Either small tornadoes or severe straight line winds did damage in Dodge and Laurens counties.






Photos of the damage to the Press Box at DCHS football field

~ Photos by Kim Turner and submitted to 13WMAZ.com

The tornadoes that took the lives of 8 souls on March 1st were about 30 miles away. Last night, the winds were within 15 miles.

William sung a very appropriate song this morning.

Words and Music by Mosie Lister copyright 1958


In the dark of the midnight have I oft hid my face,

While the storm howl above me, and there's no hiding place.

'Mid the crash of the thunder, Precious Lord, hear my cry,

Keep me safe till the storm passes by.


Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,

Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;

Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,

Keep me safe till the storm passes by.


Many times Satan whispered, "There is no need to try,

For there's no end of sorrow, there's no hope by and by"

But I know Thou art with me, and tomorrow I'll rise

Where the storms never darken the skies.


Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,

Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;

Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,

Keep me safe till the storm passes by.


When the long night has ended and the storms come no more,

Let me stand in Thy presence on the bright peaceful shore;

In that land where the tempest, never comes,

Lord, may I Dwell with Thee when the storm passes by.

Till the storm passes over, till the thunder sounds no more,

Till the clouds roll forever from the sky;

Hold me fast, let me stand in the hollow of Thy hand,

Keep me safe till the storm passes by.



This storm will continue to cause concern for the next several days, forecasted to turn into a Nor'easter which will impact Mid-Alantic and New England coastlines and states.


Keep 'em safe till the storm passes by...

"And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm." Mark 4:39